08/03/2016

Public Transport Australia vs Japan and tips for countryside sight-seeing

Public transport are very different in each countries.

Japanese public transport is always, every day on time even in the countryside. They they some times where they are late, but not that often. If you are in Tokyo there can have the occasional accidents and weather interference can cause a delay but they are pretty good at scheduling the timetables and being on time.

On the other hand in Australia, I have experienced many times where the buses did not arrive at the bus stop for 30 minuets and even longer. It can be good at times because it means that you can just pop into the shops and get a snack and you will still have time to catch the bus. However when you have to arrive at a certain place at a certain time, it can mess your plans drastically. 

Australia has there good points with public transport too! I think they are good in terms of covering a wide range of areas in terms of buses and having quite frequent services. As in Japan, when you go to the countryside it is really difficult to get public transport because some areas they just do not offer them or they are at really odd times and limited services.

There was a time when I did not have a licence and a car and had to go for a job interview. I looked up the time tables for the buses and they were not helpful for the time I had to be there. In the end I had to walked to the station which took 30 minuets, and hop on the train to the next station, then had to get a taxi to the company which took about another 30 minuets. 

Of course when it comes to tourist areas in the countryside of Japan there are more likely to have good public transport. But when you live in places in the countryside, it is best to have a bicycle or a car for mobility. If you want to see more than just the tourist areas, which I really recommend it can be a good idea to bring a international driving licence and hire a car to explore with a group of people to split the cost.


Also when you are traveling from one place to other it is best to have other options in mind too.
When I was living in Akita (Northern part of Japan) at my university, my friend from the US was going back for Christmas holidays. He want to the air port to catch his plane but When he arrived, the airline was announcing that they were not going to fly due to the heavy snow. He had to catch another plane that night from Narita International Airport and he was in panic. Lucky he understood a little bit of Japanese so he was able to change his plan and catch a train down to Tokyo. In the end He did made it in time for his plane.

 Once I got my driving licence and I was able to borrow a car,  it became much more easier.
I still use public transport when I am in the city and I often plan ahead and always double check my transport options for delays and weather interfering.

I hope article has been useful!

See you soon!
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment