26/10/2016

Watermelon prices in Australia

Recently I have been talking to my friend who now lives in Switzerland about the price of fruit.

As we both grew up in Japan we both agree that it is quite expensive to buy fruit. For example, one package of strawberries might cost you 600 yen/$6 and here in Australia yes it is pricy but it be 2 packages for $5. In switzerland I am not exactly sure but I can imagine my friend saying "expensive".

So, lets talk about watermelons. It was quite a shock to see big watermelons sold at about $1 per Kilo!!
If you would be in Japan It would cost just one watermelon about $15 to $30 each!!
Another thing that shocked me was that the watermelons were all in this huge box in the middle of  the shop!
I am used to buying things by weight in Australia but I feel like going to buy a watermelon or even watermelons would be a whole new level of culture shock and experience.

Australia has areas like Queensland which consider to be the tropical region and have big scale farms. In comparison, Japan has its restriction of land and when it is imported from other countries fruits from its own country becomes more expensive.

In the case of Switzerland and Germany, my Friend say that it is quite cheap to get fruit like Australia but not as cheap as in Australia. When I lived in the UK for a while. I remember it was quite cheap compared to Japan.

I think in quality and uniqueness for having several kinds of varieties for strawberries, mandarins, grapes and also watermelon, I think Japan is ahead with creating tasty fruits.
But also the price difference will be depending on the economic factors and trade agreements but let's not go there.

This is a quite normal thing as an example of a form of culture shock where you get everywhere.
It is just for me, it is quite a difference so it made me curious!

There are so many things in life which is curious and fascinating.

Ellen 

No comments:

Post a Comment