23/10/2016

DIY Computer Cover

Recently I have made a cover for my computer.

There are few reasons why I have made this.
  • I could not find any cover that will fit my computer.
    From my search around local electronic stores and stores in the city, I just could not find the right side I need for my computer. I did not want to take the risk and buy a cover and bring it home to discover that I have to return it back to the shop.
  • I could not find any cover that I liked.
    This is in terms of design and colour wise. There were covers that had interesting designs which I did not like. Some were in really vibrant colours which did not appeal to my taste.
  • The covers that I were looking at were all over my budget.
    Some times I found covers that were quite good and which I would be willing to purchase. However, simply most of them were over my budget. 
So, one afternoon after college I decided to make a computer cover.
I went to my local textile shop and bought: Cotton padding material as lining, material that I wanted to have outside, and industrial length zipper.
After I got home I started to measure the size I wanted and cut out the pattern using newspaper and then cutting out the amount of material I need for both the lining and the outside pattern.of the cover.

I then sew the materials together having both right side together for 3 sides. For the last side, I left a gap in the middle to be able to flip it inside out to make both right sides outside and sew the gap up. 

Then it was the hardest bit: sewing the zipper. I struggled a little, especially to have the right length and at the corners. However I think I did a good job!

I was proud of myself being able to come up with the idea and then finish it in one evening!

I love being creative and making these kind of things.
Feeling some kind of accomplishment and satisfaction from your own projects are the best thing ever!

See you soon!
Ellen 

No comments:

Post a Comment