21/04/2015

Hirosaki Lantern Snow festival

Last February, I visited Aomori Prefecture with Becca.
I have only been to Aomori in the summer so it was really different being there in the winter time.

The Hirosaki Lantern Snow festival is one of the big five snow festivals on the Tohoku region.
The other festivals are in Hachinohe(Aomori), Iwate(iwate), Yokote(Akita), and Oga(Akita). Out of the five festivals I have been to Yokote and Oga and now HIrosaki.

On the side of the lanterns are pictures which are made from Japanese Traditional paper called "washi". The pictures are hand drawn and the paper is hand made.

Aomori Prefecture is famous of festivals called "Nebuta" or "Neputa". both of them are really alike but have very different origins: one is a festival about going to war and the other was coming back.

At night, every thing was lit up and beautiful. There was a projector light performance and there were many people looking at it and enjoying it.

I very enjoyed and had a good time in the snow!

I actually for the first time Vlogged some of the festival. If you would like to see me being nervous filming myself in public or/and want to see a little bit of the festival click here to have a look :)

I hope you will enjoy it!

See you!
Ellen ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment